Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Homemade grenadine

Tonight I made homemade grenadine -- you know the stuff, the "cherry" flavor they add to a Coke at a restaurant, the red stuff in a Shirley Temple and numerous alcoholic drinks. The kind you can buy at the store is basically corn syrup with red food coloring in it. Not exactly the most appetizing.

Why did I decide to make grenadine in the first place? Well, it's kind of silly. I really like Cherry Coke. I LOVE Cherry Coke. However, I don't tolerate caffeine very well. So I came up with the idea of buying caffeine free Coke at the store, and then adding my own grenadine to it to make it a Cherry Coke!

Funny fact: real grenadine is made from pomegranate juice! No lie! So that's what I used to make it: POM and sugar. You simply boil the POM juice down to about half, then add sugar and dissolve. That's it! two parts POM, 1 part sugar. I used a 16 oz bottle of POM and 1 cup of sugar.

I may try this with cherry juice in the future and see how that tastes compared to the pomegranate juice.

The result? Great! I haven't done a side-by-side taste test, but it tastes good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment